Thursday, June 02, 2011













Many years ago, I believe that it was in the Autum of 1986...I built a really nice 4' x 6 and 1/2' H.O Scale model railroad layout. I was still living in My old southwest side Chicago neighborhood in an apartment building.

Part of the inspiration for My layout, were the many recent trips I had taken by CTA bus or My own bicycle,( I did not own My first car yet.) to south suburban Alsip Illinois. I use to love hanging out in Alsip back then, especially with fun places like the Frosted Mug Dive in Restaurant at 116th Street and South Pulaski Road to enjoy some homemade root beer and a custom car show in the parking lot.

I mostly operated Santa Fe equipment on this layout, but eventually painted an Athearn Baldwin S 12 yard switcher, and a Bachman Spectrum Series General Electric 4 ton center cab diesel switcher, in an attractive blue and cream color scheme I had come up with.

In 1990, My family and I had moved to south suburban Oak Lawn Illinois, and unfortunately had to downsize due to smaller living accomodations. I tried building smaller H.O layouts over the next five years or so, with no luck. During the late 1990's, I even tried building small H.o trolley layouts.

In 2006, I got maried and moved to near northwest suburban Elmwood Park Illinois. Once again, I had to downsize. DANG IT! I had no room for a small H.O layout.

Fast foreward to 2011:
In late February of 2011, I became a member of the nearby Oak Park Society of Model Engineers H.O Scale Model railroad Club. I bought a few new pieces of equipment, and operate it once a week on the club's DCC equippped layout.

After many years in storage, I donated My old Alsip Railroad locomotives ( Wich still run pretty well yet.) to the model railroad club. They are occasionally operated on the smaller 4' x 8' spare layout, much to the delight of visiting children and their families. My old equipment has found a new home, and My new equipment is thriving today.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: