Wednesday, August 08, 2012

"Bourbon Street Parade" Dukes of Dixieland




I have always been a big fan of traditional American dixieland jazz music.

Way back in 1977 and 1978, I visited the city of New Orleans Louisianna for the Mardi Gras celebration. Although I had known about dixieland jazz music from watching the Lawrence Welk Show on television with my family, and listening to my mother's record collection, I finally got to experience dixieland jazz music live when I had visited the Crescent City.  " I loved it"!

The band featured on this You Tube snipet, is a group I actually saw perform during the New Orleans Mardi Gras, known as "The Dukes of Dixieland". They were great.  This must be an early photograph of the band, as I seem to recall that there were more members than that.

Dixieland Jazz music appeared on the American music scene around 1917, and was the successor to the previous "Ragtime" style of music from the late 1800's and early 1900's era.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: