Monday, March 24, 2014

An H.O Scale model of a Roadway Trucking Company Ford C cab tractor and 20 foot "Pup" trailer.

I photographed this miniature H.O Scale model of a Roadway Trucking Company Ford C Cab tractor and 20 foot "Pup" trailer, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad Club.

This model brought back some memories for me, as I recall that one of the Roadway Trucking Companies terminal locations and loading dock facilities, was located on West 51st Street near South St.Louis Avenue in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood. The Roadway truck terminal, was located immediately east of the former Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon Yard. These Ford C Cabs were an everyday sight through here during the 1970's, 80's and early 1990's.

I tried many times unsuccessfuly to apply for work on their loading docks after I had graduated nearby Curie High School in 1981. Although I was never hired and wasted many a CTA bus trip chasing their want adds in the newspapers during the 1980's, I still enjoyed observing the various models of commercial truck tractors on their fleet, and that nice color scheme that they used back then.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: