Thursday, March 13, 2014

The old roadside Tangiers Motel neon sign on South Archer Avenue. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois. May 1986.

Hi everyone!
This is Eddie K, your host and photographer here at Eddie's Railfan Page.

I grew up on the southwest side of Chicago many years ago, and I had many favorite places I enjoyed visiting, and had seen many unique roadside landmarks back in the day.

One of my favorite landmarks I had seen almost everyday during the 1970's and 80's and didn't pay much mind to, was the unique neon Tangiers Motel sign located on the north side of South Archer Avenue, across the street from Curie High School, in Chicago's Archer Heights neighborhood near Midway Airport.

I was unfortunately unemployed when I had taken this photograph back in May of 1986.
I was enjoying a lovely springtime day between job searches, and spent part of it hanging out near South Archer Avenue east of South Pulaski Road, just walking around with my 35mm Pentex M.E Super camera in Chicago's Archer Heights neighborhood.

This is an example of how sometimes I would just take a random snap shot just for the heck of it all, and was glad that I had did that sometime later.

The Tangiers Motel was sold at some point during the 1990's, and after remodeling had opened under a different name. The old classic neon roadside Tangiers Motel sign I had known from my own Curie High School days a few years before, is now long gone. That random snap shot is now a historic Archer Heights neighborhood reference photograph.

As I seem to recall, there used to be several trucking companies in the area, and there were plenty of tractor trailer semi trucks passing along South Archer Avenue. The Tangiers Motel was frequented by over the road long haul semi truck drivers, and seeing their big rigs parked in the Tangiers Motel rear parking lot was a common and very daily sight during the 1970's and 80's.

I am so glad that I took this random snap shot when I did back in May of 1986, as this is the southwest side Chicago I had once known.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: