Thursday, August 23, 2007

Montana Charlie's Little America flea market. Lemont Illinois USA. May 1987.

Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.
During the mid to late 1980's, My family would occasionally visit the Montana Charlie's flea market , located on South Joliet Road in Lemont Illinois. Montana Charlies was just a short distance from the I-55 Stevenson Expressway exit, near the border of Romeoville Illinois. During the spring and early summer, it was nice to come here, stroll around in the fresh air, and occasionally find a nice bargain or two to come home with. We enjoyed coming here in the 80's.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

On old Route 66, I do believe??

Eddie said...

Yes. Other people that I have spoken to, are telling Me that this is old U.S Route # 66.
Old 66 or the Mother Road as it is known, was replaced by the I-55 Stevenson Expressway in 1962.
However...Several frontage roads and portions of other roads like U.S 53, are original allignment remnants of 66. Illinois unfortunately didn't save much of old U.S # 66.

Thank You.
Eddie.

Anonymous said...

This is definitely US 66. The Chicken Basket in Hinsdale was also on US 66. I haven't been there in 20 years.

Mel said...

It's in Bolingbrook not Lemont

Anonymous said...

eddie -

yeah, my family would go here too, when i was little my dad would occasionally drive us from garfield ridge out to white fence farm. i loved it! my dad would always pick up cool old stuff. remember the old welco truck stop around there?

-subliculous over at flickr