Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis Presley limited edition Reeses Peanut Butter cup candy display. CVS Pharmacy. 6200 West Higgins Avenue. Chicago Illinois USA. July 2007.

Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.
It was 30 years ago today, that the world of pop music lost one of it's legendary performers Elvis presley, who passed away at the age of 42.
Elvis Presley, was one of music's early superstars, and his vocals and music stylings left a lasting impression on the world today.

One of Elvis Presley's favorite snacks, was a Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich. To honor the man known as "The king of rock and roll", the people at Hershey's Candy, just recently released this candy creation "Fit for a king".
In honor of the Elvis 30th Anniversary, Hershey released this limited edition Reeses Peanut Butter Cup candy, in the flavor combination of Peanut Butter and Banana Cream. Me and My wife both tried it, and it's actually pretty good! Elvis today is still missed, but his taste buds live on. If Elvis was still around, He would proboubly be doing TV commercials for this candy urging everyone to try it. He would proboubly tell the Parents Groups..."Thats Alright Mama."

4 comments:

Tom Gill said...

Do you remember where you were when you heard about the death of Elvis? I do!

I was only 10, but I was downtown in Chicago with my aunt. I just stepped off of a bus onto the sidewalk and heard some people talking about how Elvis died. I knew who he was even though my parents didn't listen to his music.

This one guy was complaining that the newspaper will run a HUGE story about him the next day and "If the president died, you know the story would be buried on the inside of the paper and only about this big (he held his fingers apart two inches).

Some things you just don't forget...

Eddie said...

Hi Tom!
I was 15 years old, and had just recently graduated from Mc.Cormick Elementary School in My old neighborhood. I was enjoying My summer vacation before I would start My Freshman year at Curie High School the following month.

I was in My living room in My Family's apartment at South Kedzie Avenue and West 27th Street watching WGN TV Channel 9 that afternoon. I do not remember what show I was watching, but suddenly, WGN interupted the program with a Special News Bullletin. WGN News Anchor "Jack Taylor" came on and announced the news from the Elvis Presley Graceland mansion in Memphis Tennesee, that Elvis Presley had died suddenly at the age of 42 from a massive heart attack.
I got on the phone and called My now deceased Aunt Thereasa and other Family members with the news.

Thats what I remember.
Eddie.

Anonymous said...

I was 17 years old, working as a stockboy at the old Polk Bros. store in the 3100 block of West 63rd Street. Many of the TVs on display were tuned to the news. Quite surreal.

I had no regard for Elvis back then, even though I was a rock music lover and a budding guitarist. Elvis by then was a caricature of himself, and as a smart-assed 17 year old know-it-all I summed him up as totally irrelevant, only something for my friends' hopelessly out of date moms to swoon over.

As I matured I realized that Elvis was a music and cultural pioneer and that the sad end to his life revealed the frailties and excesses that any human being can fall prey to.

Tom Gill said...

wow, Polk Brothers I remember them!