Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The former Axel Roller Rink building today. Norridge Illinois USA. Late January 2008.


Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.
One of My all time favorite recreational activities I enjoy beside railfan photography is roller skating. I took this photo one afternoon in Norridge Illinois, in late January of 2008.
From 1975 to 1979, My family took Me roller skating here occasionally on Sunday afternoons.
This is the site of the Axel Roller Rink, wich had closed in 1983. Surprisingly, the old roller rink buiding wasn't demolished after the closing, but rather modified and redeveloped for other commercial uses. Yes, there is no mistaking that distinctive roller rink architecture from years past. The east side of the building wich faces North Harlem Avenue -Illinois U.S Route # 43, has an added cosmetic architectural addition, and is now a David's Bridal, and an American Mattress retail store. The section shown to the right with the original roller rink architecture and north entrance, is a childrens arcade and pizza restaurant called "Go Banans", wich is much like a Chucky Cheese type of establishment.
During the 1950's, this place was known as "The Hub Roller Rink". Although the Axel Roller Rink is long gone from Chicagoland, it was great seeing the old place once again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Just a bit of FYI. The Axel closed October 31, 1985

Anonymous said...

I miss this place. I use to skate there back in the early 80 up to 83 with my buds from school. Even took my real first love there. I wish it was still open.

Shawn Mac Lean

Anonymous said...

I miss the Axel and Holiday Bowl down the street. They tear down things like bowling alleys and roller rinks and then wonder why kids are so fat today. Both of these building have been replaced with useless stores that have gone in and out of business time and time again.
Donna

Anonymous said...

What a fun place that was!

Unknown said...

I skated at The Hub listening to Leon Berry play that big pipe organ - Friday Night, Saturday Night, Sunday Afternoon. I really loved to skate. I spent a lot of time there in the 50's

MsWolfe said...

My husband and I met at The AXLE (not Axel) Roller Rink in Niles...we spent our honeymoon there, still remember the rink being cleared so we could Waltz alone. We have now been married almost 39 years! We were the first couple to marry that met there. Miss it!

Anonymous said...

I skated there every fri mite sat afternoon sat mite and sun afternoon used to do the jam places like this will never be around again miss it so much