Friday, February 22, 2008

The little neighborhood diner with the neon "EAT" sign on South Pulaski Road. Chicago Illinois USA. April 2000.

I took this photo in April of 2000 on South Pulaski Road just north of West 49th Street, in Chicago's Archer Heights neighborhood.

This cozy little neighborhood diner restaurant was in business from 1950 to the year of 2000. This charming establishment was owned by a nice little Italian lady named Elvira, but for some reason or another...many local area patrons called her "Emilly". The food was always made fresh to order, and the coffee was practically half the pleasure of stopping in for Breakfast or Lunch anytime. Emilly ran a very friendly restaurant with a pleasant neighborhood charm.

A local bragged about "Must Have" breakfast favorite, was the thick sliced potatos with onions that she would serve with the eggs and omelets. I always enjoyed breakfast, as well as the homemade Mostacolli and Italian macaroni and bean soup. Many times the place would be crowded with workers from the city of Chicago, Peoples Gas, or Commonwealth Edison having lunch at the counter. When You ate here, You were treated like You were part of the Family. It was nice.

I discovered this place in 1978, while I was attending nearby Curie High School. I took this
photo in April of 2000, around the time that Emilly was retiring and selling the business.
I had many happy memorys, and delicious home style meals here. It was that good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ll never forget that red neon “EAT” sign on Pulaski.

My Dad once told me that he was a regular customer at that diner back in the early 1960s when he lived in Archer Heights.

Is this place is still a restaurant today? I know the “EAT” sign is gone.

Eddie said...

Hi!

The lady who owned and operated this little diner all by herself, was Elvira Scala. Many people called her Emily.

She sold the business and retired in 2000. She passed away in the spring of 2008 at the age of 91.

I do not know what the place is today, as it has been a long time since I passed through the area.

Emily and her deceased brother Anthony who owned Di' Crescenzo's Pizza on South Archer Avenue, were both friends of mine.

Thanks.
Eddie K.
Edde's Railfan Page
http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com