Thursday, August 19, 2010

The old Carr's Grill Restaurant on South Kedzie Avenue near West 59thStreet. Chicago Illinois. Circa mid 1990's.

This photo comes to Eddie's Railfan Page today, from fellow railfan and former Chicagoan Dennis Madia.

A popular local icon for many years in Chicago's own Chicago Lawn neighborhood on the southwest side of the city , was the Carr's Grill restaurant located at the southwest corner of West 60th Street and South Kedzie Avenue near the old Coloney Movie Theatre.

This classic sit down family style Greek owned restaurant, was in the begining stages of demolition preparations by the time of this mid 1990's era photograph.

With those vintage neon signs, it was a local neighborhood classic.

Thank You Dennis.

Eddie K.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great sign. Too bad the building no longer stands.

Eddie K said...

I think that I may have eaten there a time or two with My Mother and Sister during the late 1960's. I believe it was after seeing a Sunday Matinee movie at the Coloney Theatre down the street.

In later years, Me and some of My buddys used to get together once in awhile, and have a few drinks and games of pool at J & T Gyros across the street.

We eventually quit going when the clientel became seedy, and the place became a "Dive"!

Eventually, that closed too.

Thanks.
Eddie K

John S. said...

When I was growing up, my folks and I ate there MANY times; I still remember the "Breaded Pork Tenderloin" dinners, a dish that seems to be unique to the Chicago/NW Indiana region. Carr's was consistently good through the '60s and '70s until we moved away. When I stopped back in during a visit to Chicago - I think the late '80s - it had gone seriously downhill and seemed destined to become a taco joint. Sad to see such an old institution disappear.