Friday, August 13, 2010

Saint Richard's Catholic Parish annual summer carnival. Chicago Illinois. July 1983.

Hi everyone!

Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page from the city of Chicago Illinois. One fond memory I have of growing up on the southwest side of Chicago, was the annual summer carnival held at Saint richard's Catholic Parish at West 50th Street and South Kostner Avenue near Chicago's Midway Airport.

My summer was not complete without at least one visit to this wonderful neighborhood festival during the 1980's.

I took this photo during the July 1983 carnival. I had just recently bought My first 35mm camera, and this was also the first time I ever took night time photos at a carnival.

Heck! They even turned out better than I thought that they would!

Unfortunately....Saint Richard's Catholic Parish and the adjoining Garfield Ridge and Archer Heights neighborhoods have fallen on hard economic times. Although Saint Richard's no longer has the summer carnival these days, they do host the Taste of Garfield Ridge celebration on Labor Day Weekend in their parking lot.

Still, a fun memory is better than no photograph or memory at all.
Saint Richard's Carnival was wonderful back in the day. Lets hope that they can bring it back eventually.

2 comments:

winslow said...

I attended many of these carnivals......good memories, good times

Anonymous said...

Hey Eddie,
It's Mark from Roger's Basement. I haven't heard from you in forever and wanted to drop by to give ya a shout.
Hope all it well buddy
Take care,
Mark