Friday, November 19, 2010











If there was any number One favorite railroad of the many I had grown up with in Chicago Illinois, My personal vote would proboubly be the old Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe.

The Santa Fe serviced the factories in My old neighborhood five days a week on what was once the Illinois Northern Railroad. I lived just a few miles north of the Santa Fe Corwith Yard, and spotted many Santa Fe transfer trains while I attended Curie High School from a classroom window or two daily. The Santa Fe O' Scale model railroad exhibit at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, plus My now vaque childhood recollections of the Santa Fe passenger trains from pre Amtrak times with their red and silver passenger diesel locomotives traveling alng the northside of the Illinois U.S Route I -55 Stevenson Expressway, helped to secure a life long bond with the Santa Fe.

Aside from My personal memories, the collection of former Santa Fe equipment at the Illinois Railway Museum in the town of Union Illinois www.irm.org, helps to keep the legacy of this proud North American fallen flag railroad alive for all to enjoy.

Yes. I loved the Santa Fe.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: