Saturday, November 20, 2010

The 1888 built Grand Trunk Western Elsdon depot. Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.







One of My earliest railfan hang out locations I had come to know and love, was the Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon Station on West 51st Street just east of South Lawndale Avenue in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood.

I discovered this place when I attended nearby Curie High School from 1977 to 1981. I would sometimes hang out here after school, and sit on that wooden bench to the right of the photo. Best of all, the GTW crews were really nice and actually didn't mind this at all. Unfortunately, I did not own My first camera yet back then.

The GTW closed Elsdon Yard in October of 1983, and demolished the depot shown here in November of 1983. It was all gone too soon.

I took this photo during the last week of operation in October of 1983.

No comments: