Monday, January 28, 2013

Southbound Belt Railway of Chicago maintenance truck and crewmember. 55th Street Junction. Chicago Illinois. January 2007.

I took this photograph one overcast winter day, back in January of 2007.

I was driving past one of my favorite railfan hangouts from my Curie High School days ( 1977 to 1981), and decided to stop and take a look at the old place.

One of my favorite railfan hangouts I used to enjoy visiting before I actually owned a camera, was a location near Chicago's Midway Airport that was known as 55th Street Junction.

During my high school days, I would sometimes walk here approximately one half mile west of Curie High School after school, and watch a few transfer trains going to and from the Belt Railway of Chicago Clearing Yard. I would often spot trains from the Burlington Northern, The Milwaukee Road, The Soo Line , The Belt Railway of Chicago, and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.

The Belt Railway of Chicago actually crossed itself here, as their north / south line, crossed their east / west line. The Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad's own "Stockyards" branch ran paralel
along the northside of the BRC's east / west branchline.

This Belt Railway of Chicago Hi Rail equipped Ford pick up truck, is viewed passing by the former site of 55th Street Tower, which was demolished in 1990.

55th Street Junction, is still a very busy location today along the Belt Railway of Chicago. Transfer trains roll through here 24-7.

No comments: