Monday, November 27, 2006

CTA 1951 Marmon Herrington trolley bus. The Illinois Railway Museum. Union Illinois USA. June 1999.

This picture is very dear to My heart. I had
grown up on Chicago's southwest side during the 1960's and 70's, and witnessed these electric powered buses in daily operation during their final years of operation. The Chicago Transit Authority had retired all the electric bus operations for good in March of 1973. A route that I had frequently rode these buses on with My family, was the Route # 52 Kedzie / California bus line. A new bridge was being built on the Chicago Sanitary and Shipping Canal at 33rd and Kedzie in 1969, and this route was immediately converted to propane and diesel bus operations on March 15th 1969. Some of the other lines that used these were -North Avenue -47th Street (southside) -Belmont Avenue -Cicero Avenue -Central Avenue -Fullerton Avenue -
Irving Park Road -Grand Avenue -Chicago Avenue -and Pulaski Road. Thanks to the Illinois Railway Museum, I can once again see and ride an example from My childhood in Chicago.

No comments: