Friday, July 27, 2007

Preserved CTA 1951 Marmon Herrington trolley bus. The Illinois Railway Museum. Union Illinois USA. June 2001.

I took this photo during a June 2001 visit to the Illinois Railway Museum, located in Union Illinois.
I was fortunate enough to have grown up in the city of Chicago, during the 1960's and 70's era when these electric buses were rolling out their final miles. As a little boy, I frequently rode these with My family, on the Route # 52 Kedzie/ California Avenue bus line. The Chicago Transit Authority had 20 Electric Trolleybus Routes, and from 1959 onward, they were gradually being phased out. The last CTA trolley buses operated on the weekend of March 25th 1973. Many were sold to Mexico secondhand. The Illinois Railway Museum operates these during the summer season, on selected scheduled weekends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was the Kedzie line for me, too, when as a child I'd board with my mother on the SE corner of 63rd Street, the very first stop for the bus after leaving the 63rd Place turnaround.

We'd wait alongside the old Dove Candies, the ground floor corner tenant of the old Marquette Theater building. I was always allowed by my mom to give the driver my fare: a whole 12 cents! I'd rush to the back window and watch the trolley poles bend left, then right, past the windows as the bus made its way along Kedzie.

We'd take it all the way to the first stop north of Archer, where she would shop at the old Robert Hall Village family clothing store. We'd find funky treasures at the DAV right across the street--Disabled American Veterans resale shop. Then, we'd walk NE on Archer for a block or two where I'd be treated to my favorite meal, a BBQ beef sandwhich with fries. I can't remember the name of that restaurant (it was there for many years and probably changed more than a couple times) but I believe it stood where that very modernistinc bank stands today.

Eddie said...

Hi Anthony!
I believe that the place You went to for the barbeque beef sandwich, was "Mike's Snack Shop". During the early 1980's, the place was remodeled and became "The Silver Coin" restaurant. I believe that it was sometime during the mid to late 1990's, when this place was sold and became the wierd looking bank on the corner.
I vaguely remeber Mike's Snack Shop" from My early to mid 1970's visits to Archer Avenue.

Thank You.
Eddie.