Monday, January 31, 2011















I spotted this rare historic 1947 Chicago photo from the Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe
Railroad at My link page Yesteryear Depot. Com to the right of Your computer screen.

I Myself, have been a life long fan of the former Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. I grew up as a Young boy on the near southwest side of Chicago during the 1960's and 70's, with the Santa Fe and their pre 1972 Chicago subsidiary railroad Illinois Northern serving the factory spurs in My old neighborhood. The Santa Fe mainline and Corwith Yard, was approximately a mile south of where I lived.

This photo dated for July 30th, 1947, shows a hard working A,T & S,F 0-8-0 steam locomotive # 582 at work in what as described as the "Chicago Yards". I believe this location is actually the Santa Fe Corwith Yard located in Chicago's Brighton Park neighborhood. It was nice being able to see how the steam era Santa Fe looked like in My home town many decades ago, just prior to eventual dieselization.

No comments: