Monday, September 17, 2012

Conrail switching local. Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

I took this photograph way back in October of 1983.

Looking north from the Grand Trunk Western Elsdon Yard embankment, We see the Conrail switching local serving the industries near West 48th Street in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood west of South Kedzie Avenue.

When I took this photograph, the Grand Trunk Western Railroad was in the process of closing Elsdon Yard during the final week of operation at this facility. Most of the yard siding tracks were now empty.

This Conrail switching local would also become a thing of the past in the near future, as this light railed and sharply curved branchline would be abandoned within the next year or so.

I am so glad I photographed this when I had the opportunity to do so before it was too late.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: