Monday, September 24, 2012

Early 1970's era Illinois Central Gulf Railroad caboose hop. December 2011.

I took this photograph last year, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad Club.

Seen here are my Life Like Proto 2000 EMD SW 9 yard switcher painted in pre 1967 Illinois Central Railroad colors and markings, and my Centrailia Car Shops model of a former Illinois Central steam era side door steel caboose, wearing the post 1972 markings of the succesor company Illinois Central Gulf.

I was born and raised on the near southwest side of Chicago during the 1960's, 70's and 80's eras. I can fondly recall seeing ICG switcher and caboose combinations like this, one mile south of where I lived, working the former Illinois Central's Iowa Division Mainline, or the former Gulf, Mobile & Ohio mainline south of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal.

Thanks to model railroading, you can recreate those long gone railfan memories of your youth in miniature.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: