Monday, November 12, 2012

Interior view inside a preserved Chicago Transit Authority 1951 Marmon Harrington electric trolley bus. The Illinois Railway Museum. Union Illinois. May 1999.

I took this photograph during a May 1999 visit to the Illinois Railway Museum in the town of Union Illinois. www.irm.org

Two preserved relics from the Chicago Transit Authority from my own childhood growing up in Chicago during the 1960's and early 1970's era, are the last two 1951 Marmon Harrington electric trolleybuses that closed out the end of trolleybus operations in Chicago, on Sunday, March 25th 1973.

I grew up in Chicago's Little Village neighborhood near South Kedzie Avenue and West 26th Street. I remember frequently riding these on the CTA Rt # 52 / Kedzie -California Avenue bus route during the 1960's.

Being aboard this bus, was like being reunited with an old friend I grew up with.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: