Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Frosted Mug Drive In at West 116th Street and South Pulaski Road. (Closed) Alsip Illinois. January 1990.

I took this photograph (Originally in color), way back in January of 1990.

One of my all time favorite eateries I enjoyed visiting both before and after I finally purchased my first car in 1991, was the classic roadside Frosted Mug Drive In Restaurant, located at West 116th Street and South Pulaski Road in the town of Alsip Illinois.

Before I owned my first car, I would often hop the Chicago Transit Authority Rt # 52A / South Kedzie Avenue bus, and ride it to the end of the line at nearby West 115th Street and South Springfield Avenue, in the adjacent Mount Greenwood neighborhood of Chicago, and walk a couple of city blocks or so to get here.

The food was tasty and inexpensive, the atmosphere was delightfully retro, and the classic car shows on Tuesday and Saturday nights were really cool to attend.

The Frosted Mug was sold during the fall of 2007 and closed. Some remodeling work was done, but soon even that came to a stop.

I hope that one day this too will reopen as one of those classic American roadside drive in restaurants from the 1950's and 60's era, with year round car hop service just as the owner of the Frosted Mug had did for many years.

Thanks.
Eddie k.

No comments: