Tuesday, January 29, 2008

BER-WYN !!??. Rich Koz aka The Son of Svengoolie in the October 1982 Berwyn Houby Day Parade. Berwyn Illinois.

I took this photo at the 1982 Berwyn Houby Day parade in west suburban Berwyn Illinois. Seen here traveling slowly westbound on Cermak road / aka West 22nd Street...is local Chicago television horror show host Rich Koz, who's television character back then was The Son Of Svengoolie.

Every Saturday afternoon back then, He would host a comedy horror movie TV show on Channel 32 WFLD TV in Chicago called "The Son of Svengoolie Show. He would show old horror movies like -Frankenstein, The Mummy -The Wolfman
as well as low budget Japanese classics like Godzilla and Gamara the Giant Turtle. My personal favorite part of the show is when He would spoof local current events or even the shows sponsors. Every bad joke He told was usually rewarded with some tossed Rubber Chickens.

I loved seeing and hearing the very multi talented musician Doug Graves perform, The intermission Wise Cracks that the staff anouncer Jim Barton would make on air, but My personal all time favorite....was the Skull puppet character Tombstone. He was very funny!

The original Svengoolie Show , aired on Channel 32 from 1972 to 1974 hosted by the original Svengoolie Jerry G. Bishop, who was a Ghoulish Hippy Horror Show host and comedian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich is a resident of Oak Park and while on staff at the local Pioneer Press paper in that suburb I photographed him on the set of his show for a story we were doing.

At the appropriate time in the show, I was highly encouraged to set down my cameras and join in the ritual of pelting him with rubber chickens, which I did with great enthusiasm!

And just for the record, his last name is pronounced with a long "O", like the word "cozy." I never knew that until meeting him.

I have no idea if this URL will translate, but here's my friend and local guitar legend Joe Jammer playing on the Svengoolie show last Halloween in a "monstrous" get-up as he performs Link Wray's classic tune, Rumble. Copy and paste into your browser. Fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWBShCwgIY

Tom Gill said...

Berwyn???!!!!

At least he's still on the air in Chicago! The kids love his show.

leomemorial said...

I sent Rich this picture...

great guy and funny!!

Anonymous said...

Hello!!! eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent resourceful websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com rocks!