Monday, January 14, 2008

Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Alco RS-3 diesel locmotive picture postcard.

One of My all time favorite railroad items I enjoyed collecting for many years, are the numerous railroad picture postcards I have in My archives. My many visits to Railroad Museums, and Postage Stamp Collectors flea markets... offers Me the opportunity to share images of past railroad subjects from the days before I became a railfan photographer.

Seen here, circa 1958, is a Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad -American, Locomotive Company ( ALCO) Model RS-3 Roadswitcher. These were used primarilly on freight trains, but the Rock Island had also used them on Chicago to Joliet Illinois commuter trains daily for many years. The Rock Island adopted this much simplified dark maroon color sceme during the late 1950's. These locomotives were in service on the Rock Island, untill the early 1970's.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photo!! Put up some more if you have them.
Thanks,

Eddie said...

Hi Bob!
I am glad that You enjoyed seeing
this one. I didn't take this one though. Postcards from railroad museum giftshops are just as cool.

Glad You liked it buddy.

Thank You.
Eddie K.