Thursday, January 24, 2008

Evening at the BNSF Railway Clyde Yard. Cicero Illinois USA. May 2007.

I took this photo one evening after work, in May of 2007. Parked just below the South Laramie Avenue overpass bridge alongside West 26th Street, are two BNSF Railway EMD roadswitchers waiting for clearance to proceed from the railroad dispatchers office. Another lovely Springtime day in Chicago will soon give way to nightfall. The action here never stops at this major Chicagoland railroad hub, it operates 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week in any weather condition. The trains keep moving through here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eddie,

I grew up in Cicero, and my grandparents on my father's side lived a block away from the Clyde yards. During the Cold War, rumour has it that the Yard was a Russian ICBM target!! It would have been a good way to disrupt country wide shipment of supplies! This is why I hope the EJ&E being purchased by the CN goes through!

Eddie said...

I actually remeber this place during the late 1960's and early 1970's. I can still recall seeing red and gray diesels from the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad as well as a handfull of EMD SW and NW series yard switchers in the 1950's Black and gray color scheme ,with the words
"Everywhere West" on the sides.
I can remeber the silver EMD E-7 and E-8 passenger locomotives on commuter trains. Ahhh. My chicago childhood.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

Anonymous said...

I never knew that the Canadian National was trying to merge or buyout the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern. I will miss the orange diesel locomotives and cabooses.
I had heard that the Canadian Pacific was trying to buy out the Iowa, Chicago & Eastern last year.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous:

One of the current monthly rail publications (Trains?) has a substancial piece about the CN's probable acquisition of the EJ&E.

Eddie said...

Speaking of the E,J & E...their last surviving steam locomotive # 765, a 2-8-2 Mikado type is preserved in downtown Gary Indiana near the South Shore station. Also, there is a preserved E,J & E caboose on display at a park in Griffith Indiana.

Thank You.
Eddie K.