Monday, July 28, 2008

The original Lindy's Chilli on South Archer Avenue. Chicago Illinois USA. June 2007.

The original Lindy's Chilli on South Archer Avenue in Chicago Illinois.

Seen here on South Archer Avenue just east of the intersection of South Western Avenue in Chicago's Mc Kinley Park neighborhood, is a local eatery that made it big successfully here in the Windy City. This little neighborhood lunch counter Chilli Parlor diner restaurant opened for business at this location in 1924. Lindy's Chilli for many decades was a popular luch counter restaurant, that was famous for it's many varieties in Chilli on Chicago's near southwest side,located just east of the Brighton Park neighborhood. During the 1980's, another Chicago success story...The people at Gertie's Ice Cream "Merged" with the owners of Lindy's Chilli, and today it is a very successfull and ever expanding Chicago food franchise operation.

I occasionally stop to eat at the Lindy's Chilli / Gertie's Ice Cream restaurant in southwest suburban Bridgeview Illinois. I highly recomend trying their entree known as the "Chilli Tamales Extravaganza", or even a bowl of Turkey Style Chilli with Macaroni. Mmmmmmm!!!

For all the local Chicago railfans, This Lindy's / Gertie's is located just east of Brighton Junction at Archer and Western Avenues.

4 comments:

winslow said...

My dad used to frequent Lindy's in his younger days and I remember him taking me to Lindy's when I was a kid.
Thanks for the pic and memories

Eddie said...

I wonder if Al Capone and his Boys ever did lunch here?

Thank You.
Eddie K.

winslow said...

There used to be a place called Cho Cho's. I don't know if it is the present day Lindy's or another place. Do you remember?

Anonymous said...

My former neighbor here in Wheaton was Lorriane ( Lindy ) Lindemann.
Her family opened this restaurant. Lindy is 91 now and living in Colorado.In the old picture you have I believe that is Lindy's husband Jim DuMolin behind the counter.