Friday, January 23, 2009

The old Santa Fe ex Crane Plumbing Supply tower and building. ( Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. October 1988.

The Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe / ex Crane Plumbing Company clock tower building at South Kedzie Avenue and West 41st Street. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois. October 1988.

I took this photo looking west on West 41st Street in Chicago's Brighton Park neighborhood. Seen here in October of 1988, is the former Crane Plumbing Supply building and tower. I believe it was during the late 1970's that the adjacent Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad bought this building for use in expanding their Corwith Yard / Checkpoint Chico, piggyback and intermodal operations on the property. I believe that this building was demolished around July of 1993.. For many years, it was a Brighton Park neighborhood landmark on Chicago's southwest side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great photo. I love historical photos about plumbing. My step-father was a plumbing contractor and I remember digging through fittings in his shop.