Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The former Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Girls High School near Chicago's Midway Airport. Chicago Illinois. Early September 1987.

Lourdes High School near Chicago's Midway Airport. Chicago Illinois. August 1987.

I was passing through the area of West 56th Street near South Pulaski Road one Sunday afternoon in early September of 1987, when I had stopped to take this photograph of this local southside neighborhood landmark. I am so glad that I did.

Although this was a Catholic all girls high school at the time of this photograph, I attended "Summer School" here in July of 1979, to make up a 1/2 a credit in My high school English Class due to a not so student friendly English teacher. I have long since forgotten her name anyway.

My 1979 summer school experience at Our Lady of Lourdes was a very pleasant one filled with happy memorys of being with some of My fellow Curie High School student friends, sunny days, cool refreshments, a nice teacher, and a pleasant environment.

My happiest memory of all from that summer school I attended at nearby Lourdes, was when one day....Our Teacher decided that the weather was "Way too nice to stay inside", and had us proceed outdoors where We all sat on the lawn in the school grounds garden, and held our class right there on the lawn.
It was a beautiful sunny day with outside temperatures around 78 degrees Farenheight with a light breeze blowing. Definately a fun and memorable outdoor summer experience.

In later years due to hard economic times and budget shortfalls, The Chicago Catholic Archdiosese decided to close many local neighborhood religeous schools and
churches in an attempt to downsize and save money. Lourdes unfortunately was one of the victims of this program.

Today, it is owned by the Chicago Public Schools, and is now known as the John Hancock High School. Still, it was a happy memory for Me back in 1979.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

13 comments:

Tom Gill said...

Sad that these Catholic Schools just can't make it anymore. Unfortunately, I think it's a sign of the times, people have no room for faith anymore.

Lin said...

I am originally from that neighborhood (Garfield Ridge) and considered going to Lourdes. I had no idea it was no longer in existence. Very sad.
I decided I didn't like the idea of attending an all-girl school and at the last minute decided to attend St. Paul which was co-ed and at 59th and Narragansett. It too is gone...

Car Reviews said...

I have read this post and found it very interesting.

Eddie said...

I don't think that it is so much as not having room for faith anymore, but rather the money to finance it. Catholic schools were known for expensive tuitions.

The times have changed, and money is hard to come by in this day and age of jobless recession.

Still, it was a shame to lose Lourdes.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

Anonymous said...

well i currently go to john hancock and love it
our former principle mrs. APKE passed away from cancer. we held a little memorial in the garden. but anyways hancock is a great school. and the nuns moved out in 2007. Now i have a ghost hunting club here and actually caught some footage of paranormal activity.

well so long ill be out of here in 2011
**soraida botello**

Anonymous said...

Would you know how I can get my transcripts from my graduating class of 1977?

Anonymous said...

When I heard that lourdes high school would be no more, I felt as if a part of my life died. My mom went to this school in 1941, and I graduated in 1974. I had so many aunts and cousins that also attended this great school. I am so glad that the city did not demolish the building and education is still on going. As far as the spirits that walk the halls, it's just the sisters that called the place their home. When my mom went to lourdes the nuns used the three floor as their convent. Plus when I went there the nuns that passed on, were laid out in stitch hall. But don't fret these are the spirits of nuns that only wanted to help others. The gardens were always so beautiful in the spring and summer months. It's was always so peaceful to go outside relax on the grounds and do homework or just read for awhile. I hope the building will be used for many years to come. My this building always stand.............Joyce

Anonymous said...

I graduated from Lourdes in 1970 and loved the experience! Sister Notburga was my freshman home room teacher and she had a profound affect on me during a very vulnerable time in my life. I still think of her often. I was saddened to learn that the school had closed but remember how difficult it was for my Mom to pay the tuition back then...she worked extra hours to supplement our financially struggling family to ensure I had a great education for which I am very grateful.

maryann socha drag s.m. audrey said...

Contact the archdiocese of Chicago. Records are in the archives
I graduated 1961 as a postulant of the ssj tosf

Donna said...

I graduated from Lourdes in 1973. Back then it was a little over 500.00 a yr( not including books and uniforms) to go there which even then was too expensive for the parents who sent their kids to the public schools.
I sent my first son now 29 to Marist but at now 5,000.00 a yr ( not including uniforms and books) is still just as expensive for some as it was back then.
As much as I really wanted to go to Curie which was just opening for incoming freshman I had some good memories at Lourdes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the photo & blog re: Lourdes H.S. My dad's cousin, Sister Mary Leontine Kuklinski, taught their in the 1940's. I'm writing a short bio of her.

Anonymous said...

My mother attended Lourdes and graduated in 1940 after 4 years there.. She is now 93 yrs of age and still has fond memories.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have to agree with you on the financial end of things, because the cost can pose major problems. I was a student at Lourdes all four years, from 1983-1987, and loved going here. We had several Brother school's, which many of them are also defunct now as well, to compensate for our "All Girl's educational setting. However, that was never an issue. Of course times have changed significantly, lending way to several different factors that have caused many of these institutions to close. It is unfortunate though, and hopefully, the remaining few will have the means to survive.