Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Grand Trunk Western Railroad Elsdon locomotive terminal at night. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. April 1983.

The Grand Trunk Western RR Elsdon Yaed locomotive terminal at night. ( Gone.) Chicago Illinois. April 1983.

I took this photo way back in April of 1983, shortly after I purchased My first 35mm camera. It was also one of My first night time photos I took with it.

EMD yard switchers and roadswitchers are idling at the dimly lit Grand Trunk Western Railroad locomotive ready tracks, just to the immediate west of the 1914 built GTW Elsdon roundhouse at South Kedzie Avenue and West 49th Street. Unfortunately, Elsdon Yard and the roundhouse were in their final months of operation and would be closed in October of 1983 for good.

There is a definate uncertain feel in the air that night, as an era will soon be ending on Chicago's southwest side.

1 comment:

Phil said...

My favorite GT engines where always these SW series yard switchers