Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pennsylvania Railroad Alco model RS-3 diesel locomotive working on a switching local somewhere in Indiana. Circa 1950's. From the internet.

Pennsylvania Railroad ALCO RS 3 locomotive on a freight train. Indiana USA 1950's.

I found this photo recently on the internet.

One type of railroading that has always fascinated Me, are the freight trains known as "Switching Locals" that pick up and deliver freight cars from various industrial spur sidings usually located along branchlines. Unfortunately, I forgot to document where this 1950's era photo location was, but I recall that it was in the State of Indiana.

I grew up along an industrial railroad branchline that served the various factorys in My old neighborhood in Chicago from monday to Friday during the 1960's and 70's.
That line was the Atchinson, Topeka & santa Fe Illinois Northern branchline, wich operated out of the Santa Fe Corwith Yard.

I love this kind of railroading so much, that I eventually modeled it in H.O Scale on one of My small model train layouts during the mid 1980's.

No comments: