Friday, August 05, 2011

The Grand Trunk Western Elsdon Yard locomotive terminal. ( Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

Hi everyone!

Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page, from the city of Chicago Illinois USA.

I grew up on the near southwest side of the city of Chicago Illinois during the 1960's, 70's and 80's. Although I was a train buff since I was a Kid....I did not begin taking actual lineside railfan photographs until I purchased My first 35 MM camera back in March of 1983.

One of My favorite local southwest side Chicago railfan haunts going back to My high school days, was the Grand Trunk Western Railroad's old fashioned steam era Elsdon Yard, located on West 51st Street between South St. Louis and South Lawndale Avenues.

1983, was unfortunately...the year that the GTW decided to officially close and abandon the Elsdon Yard facility, along with the 1914 built steam era roundhouse at West 49th Street and South Kedzie Avenue.

I took this photo during an October 1983 visit to Elsdon Yard, in what was actually the final week of operation prior to abandonement.
I could never time that again in a million years!

Seen here on the locomotive ready tracks immediately west of the Elsdon roundhouse, are EMD diesel roadswitcher locomotives from the GTW, and from the recently acquired through merger Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad.

One week after I took this photo, the GTW Elsdon Yard roundhouse and engine terminal, was nothing more than a ghost town.

I am so glad I captured this image on film when I had the opportunity to do so back in October of 1983.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: