Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe's "Yellow bonnet" freight locomotive color scheme. Introduced in 1972.

 
I grew up on the near southwest side of Chicago during the 1960's, 70's and 80's.
 
My all time favorite railroad that I enjoyed since my own childhood, had to be the
former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. (Now BNSF Railway since 1996.)
 
The Santa Fe's blue and yellow freight locomotive color schemes, were a regular
in my old neighborhood, as the Santa Fe's own I.N or former "Illinois Northern"
railroad industrial branchline, served my neighborhood factories, warehouses,
and scrap yards Monday thru Friday.
 
The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe introduced this highly visible blue and yellow
color scheme in 1972, which became known as the "Yellow bonnet. I always enjoyed this color scheme, which replaced the older blue and yellow "Billboard" or  "Book Ends" color scheme
that was used from 1960 until 1972.
 
My H.O Scale Athearn model of an early 1970's era Santa Fe EMD CF 7 light
diesel electric roadswitcher locomotive, is viewed pulling a freight train over the tall steel trestle, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad Club in Oak Park Illinois.


No comments: