Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Nabisco factory on South Kedzie Avenue. Chicago Illinois USA. January 1986.

One of My all time favorite Chicago landmarks I have enjoyed since childhood, is the large Nabisco plant on South Kedzie Avenue at approximately west 75th Street. I took this photo one afternoon in January of 1986, from the top of the South Kedzie Avenue overpass bridge. This factory, has added the fragrence of freshly baked cookies to the Marquette Park and Ashburn neighborhoods on Chicago's southwest side. Below the bridge approximately a 1/2 mile west of the bridge is Hayford junction, where the Belt Railway of Chicago and the Grand Trunk Western Railroad tracks had crossed and interchanged. I spent many an afternoon at Hayford Junction photographing trains, and enjoying the aroma of those fresh baked cookies coming from the Nabisco factory seen here.

8 comments:

Tom Gill said...

I could smell it now! We used to cruise through Marquette Park when it was legal to do so and always ended up driving over the bridge where we would smell the cookies baking.

Of course, the idiots closed Marquette Park at dusk to cut down on the kids cruising through the park. This just forced them to cruise down Archer Avenue causing all kinds of traffic problems.

Leave it to a politician to solve problems.

Anonymous said...

The last time I was that way a few years ago, the Nabisco sign and symbols were on the building...and had not yet changed to Keebler. Please tell me they kept it looking like that, at least for nostalgia's sake and did not change it.

Eddie said...

Hi Dennis!
Boy, am I out of touch!
I never knew that Keebler had bought out Nabisco. I will try
to take a photo of this place in the near future.

Thank You.
Eddie.

Anonymous said...

I believe I made a mistake, Kraft bought out Nabisco. Keebler was bought out by Kellogs....too many K's, I guess I got confused. But, I know a Nabisco building around here had already been converted. For now the Nabisco name is still a seperate entity...but you know how that can change fairly quickly.

Anonymous said...

My favorite (being a ex-north sider) was the Maurice Laurnel (sp) on Harlem in Norridge!

Roger
Formally of Addison and Cicero
Now of Lakeland, Fl

Unknown said...

I grew up 3 blocks from here at 73rd and st. Louis, I ofent miss the wonderful smell.

Anonymous said...

I could recall local bicycle riders refering to this location as "Nabisco Hill" back during the 1980's. You had to be in really good shape physically to pedal up this hill.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

Anonymous said...

wow I smell that baked cookies too and I dont even live a block away