Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Southbound Chicago Transit Authority Route # 85 Central Avenue bus at the intersection of Belmont and Central Avenues. Chicago Illinois USA. Oct 2007.

I took this photo one afternoon last week, looking northeast at the intersection of Belmont and Central Avenues on Chicago's northside. Prior to January of 1970, this intersection had overhead wires crossing from the Route # 85 Central Avenue, and the Route # 77 Belmont Avenue electric trolley bus lines. The Belmont Avenue CTA electric trolley bus line was converted to diesel bus operation in January of 1973. This is a present day NOVA low floor model bus, wich frequently operates on the Central Avenue line.
The Belmont and Central shopping district area, has a large Polish ethnic population today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing my first ever movie - SOng of the SOuth at the WIll Rogers, eating almost everyday with my grandpartents at Jerry's Snack Shop when I lived with them, and for a treat, getting some fannie mae from the corner....

Eddie said...

Hi Roger!
Great hearing from You. I am a former Southsider who lives and works on the northside today.

Fannie Mae is now a Jewelery Store, Jerry's Snack Shop where I used to eat at 4 years ago is now Baltyk Imports. Dayan's little variety store is now a Family Dollar Store, and the former Goldblatts store is now the A & G Fresh Market, and they are one of My customer accounts.

Times change, but the area still has a large Polish ethnic population residing there today.

Where was the Will Roger's Theatre located at? I would like to know.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

Anonymous said...

Thet tore in down, I think, in the late 70' - early 80's. It is now the parking garage.

Roger Meadows
Former NW Sider (Cicero and Addison)
Lane Tech Alumni

Anonymous said...

Info on Will Rogers Theat...

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/972/

Anonymous said...

Info on Will Rogers Theat...

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/972/