Monday, April 25, 2011

The GTW Elsdon Yard roundhouse turntable operator's cab. Chicago Illinois USA. December 1983.

Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page, from the city of Chicago Illinois USA!

I took this "Rare" behind the scenes photo during a December 1983 visit, to what was the recently closed Grand Trunk Western Railroad Elsdon Yard on the southwest side of Chicago.

I used to walk and explore the GTW property, and as long as I was responsible and respectful back then, the GTW crews didn't seem to mind at all. It was a different world back then for Chicago railfans like Myself.

I took this photo at the GTW 1914 built railroad roundhouse, located at approximately West 49th Street and South Kedzie Avenue.

The sign shown here, was located in the turntable operator's cab. The former Elsdon Roundhouse, was demolished in 1987, and today a medium sized retail strip mall now occupies the site.

I am so glad that I walked over to the roundhouse, and snapped this photo when I did. I may have been trespassing doing this, but like I said...."The GTW didn't seem to mind."

No comments: