Wednesday, April 27, 2011














I found this photo today at My Link page Fallen Flags.Org, located to the right of Your computer screen.

The photo shown here, was taken in the city of Chicago Illinois, during August of 1978.

This photo brought back some happy memories of My High School days. I attended Chicago's Curie High School from 1977 to 1981. Located approximately 5 to 6 blocks east of My Alma Matter, was the former Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe Corwith Yard. The south hump at Corwith Yard, is located at the diagonal intersection of South Archer Avenue and West 47th Street, in Chicago's Brighton Park neighborhood.

The Santa Fe was using these EMD ist generation EMD SW 1200 yard switchers daily. At least a few times a day, it was possible to find a few of these with cabless Calf units, pulling transfer trains to and from Corwith Yard behind Curie High School, on the single track Belt Railway of Chicago owned branchline.

Prior to their retirement and subsequent replacement during the Spring of 1983, the Santa Fe would assign a single SW 1200 Yard Switcher to work the I.N ( Illinois Northern) industrial branchline local that passed through My old neighborhood 5 days a week Monday thru Friday.

This photo made Me smile.

Happy Memories!

Eddie K.

No comments: