Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1950's era F.W Woolworth store lunch counter menu.

1950's era F.W Woolworth Store Lunch Counter menu.

Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.

Prior to the store chains eventual demise and closing in 1997, I too was one of many local Chicagoans who grew up with the popular discount store chain known as F.W Woolworth's. At one time, it seemed like just about every neighborhood in the city of Chicago Illinois, had their own F.W Woolworth Store.

I frequented the F.W Woolworth stores at West 26th Street and South Pulaski Road, West 63rd Street near South Kedzie Avenue, South Kedzie Avenue at West 111th Street, the one inside the Ford City Shopping Center, as well as the one at the Cermak Plaza Shopping Center in Berwyn Illinois. My family also enjoyed the large neighborhood one that once stood on North Cicero and Milwaukee Avenues in the Six Corners shopping district on the northside of Chicago, as well as the one on North Lincoln Avenue and West School Street in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood.

For many years, we enjoyed Breakfast entrees, luncheon specials and desserts at their lunch counters. I came across this old 1950's era menu from their lunch counters recently, and thought that You may enjoy seeing these prices on todays tight budgets. L.O.L

Most of the Woolworth stores began phasing out lunch counters during the early 1980's due to changing trends and economic concerns. Happy memorys nonetheless everyone.

Enjoy.

Eddie K.

4 comments:

Dave said...

I lived near Cermak Plaza in the 70's and 80', and by that time Woolworth's was gone, but G.C. Murphy, another famous 5 and 10, was still there. Funny thing is, at least last time I checked, the F.W. Woolworth name is still faintly visible on the back of the store!

Eddie k. said...

I believe that the Woolworth's at Cermak Plaza lasted in to the late 1980's there minus the lunch counter.

I used to love stopping to eat at the G.C Murphy store lunchh counter.
They had one of the longest lunch counters with stools that I had ever seen anywhere. I absolutely loved their Bar B Q Beef sandwiches.

I believe that that old G.C Murphy store is now Office Depot today.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

Lin said...

When I was a kid, in the 60's, we'd take the bus downtown to meet my Grandmother to shop on State St. One of the best memories was going to one of the dime stores (I'm not sure if it was Woolworth's or Kresge's) and have an ice cream sandwich. It was made with 2 small waffles and a thick slice of neopolitan ice cream in between. It was wonderful, and I'll bet it only cost a dime!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm trying to find any pictures of my biological mother: Agatha Lucia latique to see if she was an employee. Would you help me in my search? Been looking for her since 1971. I was born 04-18-1952 by her,don't know what hospital only Chicago,ill. I never met her. m_chrustine88@yahoo.com if you find pictures of her mail to c.brewer c/o po box 275 searchlight,NV. Please.