Friday, January 22, 2010

The site of the original Home Run Inn Pizzeria on West 31st Street. Chicago Illinois USA.

The site of the original Home Run Inn Pizzeria on West 31st Street. Chicago Illinois.

Hi everyone!

Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page from the city of Chicago Illinois.

Although Eddie's Railfan Page is a primarilly railroad oriented transportation blogsite from North America's own railroad capitol "Chicago", ( of course.)
Chicago is also known as the Pizza Capitol of the Midwest.

Pizza has always been a popular food topic in Chicago for many years.
This is a photo of the current Home Run Inn Pizzeria at the site of the original one that was opened by the Perino family here in 1945. This is on West 31st Street in Chicago's Little Village neighborhood, on the near southwest side of the city.

When I visited the original Home Run Inn with My family as a kid during the 1960's and early 1970's...It was nothing more than a little neighborhood street corner tavern that served really great pizza.

During the mid 1970's, the old tavern was demolished, and this new large modern building with an upstairs banquette room replaced the original one. Soon the business began marketing frozen Home Run Inn Pizzas in the grocery stores, as well as "New" Home Runn Inn franchise retaurant locations around the greater Chicagoland area.

It is still the same great pizza I knew as a kid. Great recipe! Mmmmmmmm!

5 comments:

Lin said...

Last time I was here is probably over 10 years, but it was still great pizza. The franchises never quite got the recipe correct. Same thing happened with Giordanno's. I used to go to the original on California when it was BYOB. Very small place. Then they were published in Chicago magazine. Never quite the same.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Unknown said...

I rememember it well,miss H.R.I.
They were always dedicated to their cutomers.When I was just a kid The Uncles played 16 inch softball across the street.Thats when they bought your drink whenever the Sox hit a homerun.
I just can't say enough it is on the must do list next visit.

Anonymous said...

I was born in little village back in 1975 and as far back that I could remember Home Run Inn is the best and always will be.I had the pleasure of working there a few years ago and I am still a regular at the ORIGINAL on 31st.Watched the Chicago White Sox win the World Series back in 2005 standing at the corner of the bar (standing room only)I have very good memories of Home Run Inn and look forward to many more.

Unknown said...

I grew up a few blocks from Home Run Inn. My dad remembered when they were served to the tavern patron after the war. I worked there when I was In High School. Whenever I go back home to Illinois I alway go eat there and bring one or two back to Tennessee. My kids love it too, its alway's been our family favorite!