Friday, March 12, 2010

Candy vending machine inside the soon to be closed Marzano's Miami Bowl on South Archer Avenue. Chicago Illinois USA. September 2004.

Candy vending machine inside Marzano's Miami Bowl. Chicago Illinois. September 2004.

Hello everyone!

Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page from the city of Chicago Illinois.

When I look back to My days as a young man growing up on the southwest side of the city of Chicago, a place that always made Me smile back then was Marzano's Miami Bowl on South Archer Avenue just west of the intersection of South Pulaski Road.

Marzano's Miami Bowl was located in Chicago's Archer Heights neighborhood near Midway Airport. I had a good number of happy memorys here during the 1970's and 80's.
Miami Bowl was a fun place to go to most anytime. This place had 80 lanes and two buildings on the property. I recall that it was also open 24 hours at some point in time. One of My gym classes at nearby Curie High School one block east of here even had a bowling course for six weeks during My Junior year back in the fall of 1979.

I had actually stopped going to Miami Bowl at some point during the 1980's, and would visit the place sporadically afterwards.

In September of 2004, it was announced in the Chicago Sun Times newspaper that the owner and family were retiring and that Miami Bowl was going to be closing for good soon. I took this photo immediately within a day or two of the announcement.

This candy vending machine with the name Miami on the header was always a favorite of Mine during My high school years, as I had bought many a Nestle's Crunch, Hershey's plain chocolate bar, or Jolly Rancher hard candy here. It was almost like an old friend to some extant.

Miami Bowl was demolished in stages over the next year or so. Today it is a vacant lot with a fence that surrounds it.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.