Monday, March 08, 2010

Historic photo! The Illinois Central Gulf Railroad in the year of 1987.

Illinois Central Gulf. 1987.

This photo appears today on Eddie's Railfan Page via My links page Fallen Flags.Org to the right of Your computer screen.

One railroad I used to live within close geographic proximity to when I was growing up in the city of Chicago Illinois, was the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad.

I lived approximately one mile north of their Iowa Division Mainline on the near southwest side of Chicago, and I could hear their freight trains off in the distance late at night hitting the crosstracks with heavy loads in tow near the Santa Fe Corwith Yard. Unfortunately, when I eventually began taking lineside railfan photographs during the early 1980's....It seemed like their trains were never around when I was waiting with My camera in hand. I have few if any ICG pictures because of this, and devoted much of my 1980's lineside railfanning activities to the busy 3 track Burlington Northern Railroad's Chicago to Aurora mainline in La Grange Illinois.

Still, the memorys of those orange and white ( And usually very weather beaten) ICG and former pre 1972 Gulf, Mobile & Ohio locomotives make Me smile today.

No comments: