Monday, March 29, 2010

It's Easter Time at Chicago's Iama Stationary Store. (Gone) Chicago Illinois USA. April 1985.

The front door of the Iama Stationers Store. Chicago Illinois. April 1985. ( Gone.)

Hello everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page from the city of Chicago Illinois USA.

I was born and raised on the southwest side of Chicago Myself, and have many happy memorys of My numerous visits to West 63rd Street and South Kedzie Avenue in Chicago's Marquette Park and Chicago Lawn neighborhoods. (They both meet up here.)

One of My all time favorite stores that I visited with My Family, was the Iama Stationary Store at 6305 South Kedzie Avenue. I deliberately took this photo during an early April 1985 visit. I am so glad that I did, because this building wich also housed the Marquette Theatre and several other businesses, was demolished in August of 1987. Isn't it amazing what a simple random snapshot taken just for the heck of it, can someday help to preserve local history?

The cardboard Easter Bunny decorations is what caught My attention here back in My early 35mm photography days.

3 comments:

Anthony C said...

Great detail shot. I remember this place well.

Tom said...

I liked that place, too. Didn't they have another location on the south side of 63rd, between Kedzie & Spaulding?

Eddie said...

Gee.
That is a really good question Tom.
I wish that I could help You, but I wasn't from that neighborhood.

Maybe one or more of our southside readers could help us out on this one.

Thanks.
Eddie K