Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Eastbound Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe piggyback train passing through Nerska Junction. Chicago Illinois USA. May 1990.

Eastbound Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe piggyback train passing through Nerska Junction. Chicago Illinois. May 1990.

Hi everyone!

Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page from the city of Chicago Illinois.

I took this photo during much simpler and happier times 20 years ago this upcoming May. (Has it really been that long ago already?)
I was out enjoying some fresh air and sunshine while riding My bicycle on this lovely Springtime afternoon back in May of 1990.

Although Nerska Junction was on private property between the I-55 Stevenson Expressway embankment to the south and the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal to the north...I railfanned a small handful of times here back then. The railroad crews from the Santa Fe and the Belt Railway of Chicago that both crossed tracks here didn't seem to mind. I was a responsible and respectful railfan who would leave in a heartbeat if asked to.

This eastbound fast moving piggyback train is passing through the Belt Railway of Chicago crosstracks out of view behind Me, as it heads in to Chicago.

I recently got a good ariel look at Nerska Junction while traveling westbound on the I-55 Stevenson Expressway. With the times not changing for the better and society being what it is I guess....there is now a pole mounted Police surveilence camera at the crosstracks. Aside from the fact that I have nowhere to park My car anywhere near there, that camera alone tells me to "Stay Out", and believe Me I will.

I miss the old days at Nerska Junction with My bicycle by My side and a 35MM Camera in My hand.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

winslow said...

Glad you have pictures to remind us of the good ol' days