Friday, May 13, 2011

The Oak Park Society of Model Engineers H.O Scale Model Railroad Club. Oak Park Illinois USA. May 2011.

I took this photo this past Wednsday night after work, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers H.O Scale Model Railroad Club.

Seen here, is what I consider, My early 1970's era Illinois Central Gulf Railroad switching local.

I grew up on the near southwest side of Chicago Illinois during the 1960's and 70's era. This freight train in miniature, brought back happy memories of the former Illinois Central Gulf Railroad back then.

On August 10th, 1972...the Illinois Central and the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroads had merged, and became the Illinois Central Gulf. Although the former Illinois Central was already using an orange and white color scheme on their diesel locomotives since 1967, there were still many I.C locomotives rolling around in pre 1967 era I.C factory black paint. Some were actually retired in the black paint scheme seen here with the green diamong logo during the 1980's.

No comments: