Monday, April 07, 2008

The Buckeye Drive In. Rushville Indiana USA. November 2002.

I took this photo while on a business trip with a former place of employment I worked at in 2002.

Located just outside of Indianapolis Indiana, is the Buckeye Drive In located in the town of Rushville Indiana. This once common sight, is now a piece of disappearing Roadside Americana.

Chicago's west suburban towns like Countryside, Berwyn, and Cicero had many places like these during the 1950's and 60's. Most where gone by the mid 1970's. Berwyn had several on Ogden Avenue U.S Routes # 34 and old # 66.

Rushville Indiana is the birthplace of the late great WGN Channel 9 Chicago television host Frazier Thomas, Who hosted Garfield Goose and Friends, Family Classics, and in later years...The Bozo Show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eddie, I have been promising photos, expect them soon. I do have a few of this old place as well, and will include them in the mix..... It was back in spring of 2004 when we drove by and saw this place closed up and for sale...fortunately sometime later it was bought by someone else and all they did was change the Buckleys name....they still kept that old sign and everything else remained the same.

A true story about something that happened that day and taking photographs...
Down the street from this on US 52 there was an old donut and pastry shop with a cool old neon sign...due to the lighting and a truck in the background we did not take the photo...later that evening coming back the sign was gone...the truck was part of a sign removing company and we missed the opportunity by hours...never to be able to take that photo.....so the key is to take those pictures no matter what, when you have the chance...you never know when the opportunity will be gone forever.

Eddie said...

Thanks Dennis.
I have several photos of ordinary places like stores on any main Chicago street I took 20 years ago or even later.

Fast foreward: I am so glad I did because many of these little neighborhood businesses are now gone. My motto -"Dont take everyday things for granted. Get those pictures pronto"!

Because I actually did...I recieve lots of E-Mail from Non Railfans too here at My blog site.

Thank You.
Eddie K.