Friday, April 25, 2008

Tommy James and the Shondells in concert. Lambs Farm. Libertyville Illinois USA. August 1996.

Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.

Springtime is here once again in the greater Chicagoland area. With warmer weather on the upcoming agenda, soon it will be outdoor summer concert season again around town.

I took this photo in August of 1996 at the Lambs Farm in Libertyville Illinois. Every year in late summer, the directors of Lambs Farm host a summertime rock and roll oldies concert.

When I heard that Tommy James and the Shondells was going to be there back in 1996, I dropped any if all plans and went to see them.

I was born in Chicago in the year of 1962, and grew up musically with the likes of such entertainers and groups like -The Dave Clark Five -The Buckinghams -The 5th Dimension -Three Dog Night -The Temptations -Dusty Springfield -The Edison Lighthouse -Simon and Garfunkle -Neil Diamond -Elvis Presley -Petula Clark -Credence Clearwater Revival - The Raspberries- T Rex- and the Doobie Brothers. It was a great time to grow up in Chicago back then.

I learned how to play the guitar in 1979, and found a special inspiring quality in the music group from Niles Michigan known as Tommy James and the Shondells. The many hit records they had from 1966 to 1971 were favorites of mine since My own childhood, and still are today.

I always enjoyed listening to and playing their hit songs on guitar. Some of My all time favorite selections from Tommy James and the Shondells are.....Hanky Panky -Mirage -Sugar on Sunday
Sweet Cherry Wine -Getting together -Ball of fire -Say I am -Crimson and Clover -Mony Mony -
She -I think were alone now ( Wich was banned because the parents groups said it was too suggestive) -1-2-3 and I fell -and of course...the 1971 classic "Draggin the line".

Tommy James and the Shondells still do an occasional Oldies concert or two nowadays.
Tommy James has been a successfull record producer for many years now as well.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy James & The Shondells...the best of the best!! That's a great picture from 1996. Dale Smith, Lebanon, IN

Eddie said...

Hi Dale!
Yes....I may be an outdated Dinosaur by todays pinheaded standards, but I grew up with great music back in the day and I don't regret still enjoying these timeless classics today.

I grew up in the 1960's and 70's, and I have happy memorys of listening to The Beatles, Starbuck, Deep Purple , Tommy Roe, Oliver, The Friends of Distinction, The Doors, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Argent, Jimmy Hendrix , Hamilton, Joe, Frank and Reynolds, The Stampeders, and Badfinger.

I fell in love early on with some of the best Classic Rock, R&B, Top 40, and One Hit Wonders during that time period. I still love them today.

Thank You.
Eddie K.