Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Crossing gate operators tower. The Grand trunk Western RR Elsdon Yard. Chicago Illinois USA. ( Gone.) October 1983.

Crossing gate operators tower. GTW Elsdon Yard. Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

I took this photo in October of 1983 on West 51st Street east of South Lawndale Avenue. Seen here looking west along the northside of west 51st Street, is this unique blast from railroad's historical past still standing in 1983. I was informed by nearby working GTW railroad crews, that this was the official last week of operations here at Elsdon Yard. I was told to take as many photos as I can, because it would all soon be gone. This crossing gate operators tower, was utilized during the many back and forth switching moves across West 51st Street. Nearby west 55th Street had one like this as well until approximately 1980. I am so glad that I took this photo, because one week later...The GTW demolished it on site. Elsdon Yard was a once busy 14 track old fashioned steam era railroad yard with old buildings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember this gate operators' tower when I was a kid in the '60s and I'm pretty sure it originally was on stilts, so to speak, without the vinyl or wooden siding shown here.

At night, a faint light could be seen up there as the shadowy figure of the operator was visible going about his duties. This 14-track crossing was very busy, day and night, and that operator was no doubt kept on his toes.