Friday, July 27, 2012

Santa Fe freight train passes with a red caboose on the rear.

I took this photograph this Wednsday night, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad Club.

For many years going as far back as my own childhood, I have always been a big fan of the former Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.

Seen here bringing up the rear of the freight train that I was operating, is my recently purchased Athearn Santa Fe cupola caboose wearing the familiar bright vermillion red paint scheme with the yellow markings.

This image brings back happy memories for me, as I used to see a number of Santa Fe transfer trains going to and from nearby Corwith Yard, when I was attending Curie High School in Chicago from 1977 to 1981. The Santa Fe transfer trains, traveled right behind Curie High School, over a single tracked and heavilly ballasted branchline that was owned by the Belt Railway of Chicago.

These cabooses were an everyday sight on the rear of those A,T & S,F transfer runs during the 1970's and 80's.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: