Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The original Ford City sign on south Pulaski Road. Chicago Illinois USA. October 1982.


Hello everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.
I took this photo at south Pulaski Road and west 76th Street, in October of 1982. I was attending a photography class at nearby Daley College. This is one of My "First" night photos I had taken, and I am so glad that I did. Seen here, is the original 1960's vintage Ford City shopping center sign. I had spent a lot of time visiting and shopping at Ford City with My family during the 1970's and 80's. For a while there...it was My 2nd home. I made many trips there during the 1980's, to either see a movie, go shopping, or just to hang out in the mall. My favorite place in the whole shopping center , was the section called "Peacock Alley" that was a passage below the parking lot. A now deceased Aunt of mine used to work at Wiebolts.
In the early 1970's...polka music great Frankie Yanchovich did a concert near the water fountain by Wiebolts.
The mall was remodelled in the spring of 1988, and this lovely sign was one of the first things to go. It was a nice memory.

4 comments:

leomemorial said...

Love the pic!!!!! Do you have any more? We used to go to the Woolworth's center lunch counter. Do you have any pics of the old Campbell Soup Factory on Pulaski, Westlawn shots, Clearing etc?

Eddie said...

Hi Leomemorial
Unfortunately, this is the only one I have like this.
I only brought My camera inside Ford City once back in 1984.
The mall was still relatively safe back then, and they were having a display of racing cars from Santa Fe Speedway inside the place.

I am sorry that I didn't take more photos when I had the opportunity.

I have some Belt Railway of Chicago pictures from the area, and a few more from Irv's Golf Range too.

Thank You.
Eddie.

Tom Gill said...

Now I remember that sign! I used to visit that mall quite often before the renovation and remember Woolworth's counter and Wiebolts very well.

Anonymous said...

Too cool. Another common aspect of everyday life that we just think will be around forever, until it's gone and someone surfaces who had the foresight to capture the ordinary before it disappeared forever.

Thanks.