Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Switching activity on the south hump. Santa Fe's Corwith Yard. Chicago Illinois USA. April 1984.

A rebuilt EMD 1950 vintage GP-9, is seen switching a train with a red caboose at Corwith Yard. I was actually on the embankment just north of the bridge over Archer Avenue and w 47th Street, but nobody seemed to mind. I smiled and waved to the crews, and they did likewise. I was a responsible railfan, and knew My limits as to what I actually could do here.
It was a much different world back then for Chicago area railfans. The times were better.
Railroad security never approached Me, and I never gave them a good reason to either.

1 comment:

tlee169 said...

I was an 18 year old switchman and conductor here in 1964-66 and spent some time pulling pins at the little brick building at the crest of the hump you are standing next to for this photo.