Monday, March 05, 2007

Jed's Texaco station. N.E corner of west 27th Street and south Kedzie Avenue. Chicago Illinois USA. Late March 1986.

I took this photo in Chicago Illinois USA, in late March of the year 1986. This scene is one of timeless Americana. The old neighborhood filling station of decades past, was about to disappear. This is Chicago's "Little Village" neighborhood where I hail from originally. I had just gotten word a day or two before from the Chicago Sun Times newspaper, that the chain of gasoline service stations known as Texaco, were going to be leaving the state of Illinois. I went out with My trusty camera, and took a few snapshots of My old 1940's era Texaco station across the street, before it was too late. In approximately one month after I took this photo, The station changed hands, and the old Texaco banjo sign was painted over. I passed by here recently in 2007. The gasoline pumps and little office are gone.
The service garage was saved, and it is now a privately owned Auto Repair Shop.

No comments: