Thursday, September 09, 2010

The Grand Trunk Western Elsdon Yard locomotive terminal. Chicago Illinois. 1979.

I spotted this photo on the internet recently, at My links page for fallenflags.org to the right of Your computer screen.

One southwest side Chicago railfan landmark that was very deer to My heart for many years, was the Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon Yard locomotive terminal at approximately West 49th Street and South Kedzie Avenue.

I discovered Elsdon Yard first hand while I was attending Chicago's Curie High School nearby from 1977 to 1981. This color scheme shown on this EMD high hood road switcher, dates back to the early 1960's. It replaced the 1950's era olive green and gold color scheme originally used by the parent railroad company Canadian National around 1961. The GTW began painting their diesel locomotives in a blue and red color scheme with the same ( Or larger) GT lettering on the side of the hood around 1972.

Many of the GTW locomotives being serviced at the Elsdon locomotive terminal, were still wearing this black and red 1960's color scheme through out the 1970's. It was gone by approximately 1982 as I recall.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: