Friday, September 24, 2010

Penn Central EMD GP-9 # 7300 with torpedo tube air tanks for passenger service. From the internet.





I found this photo recently on My links page Fallen Flags.Org to the right of Your computer screen.

One railroad I have a few vague memories of growing up on the southwest side of Chicago prior to 1976, was the Penn Central.

I was 14 years old when the Penn Central was bought out by the goverment and became Conrail. Unfortunately, I did not own My first camera until I was 21 in 1983, and did not go railfanning on location until around that time.

The locomotive shown here, is a 1950's era EMD first generation model GP-9 roadswitcher. While used mostly on freight trains, they also had a roof mounted air tank option for passenger train service.
This allowed room inside the carbody for a boiler, as passenger trains back then were steam heated and also cooled this way.

Today, passenger trains are heated and cooled via electricity.

No comments: